Friday 4 July 2008

Lack of Sleep

All this week I have been suffering from insomnia quite badly. I think it has a lot to do with the stress of everyday life and the worry of jump-starting my web design business again. I'm trying desperately not to worry myself sick about how the business will do as I am totally controlling of all situations. Blah!

Anywho...this week I have been in the kitchen a lot burning off excess tired energy. I tried Danish Braid Bread (Daring Bakers Challenge as found on Sass & Veracity) for the first time. (I have signed up to join their baking group and will be included in my first challenge next month.) Now I have never made any kind of dough using yeast by hand before. Whenever I make dough I tend to either use my breadmaker or *gasp* store bought. Because of the carpal tunnel in both of my wrists, I find it really hard to use them for very long before they start to ache and weaken, so I have always opted for the easier choices for dough. Though this time because you have to turn the dough and let it sit for 30 minutes each turn, I thought that I might be able to just get away with it. Plus I learned to use my rolling pin with my forearms to help relieve the pressure on my wrists.

The recipe was completed over 2 days and came out alright. I wouldn't rave about it, but as a first attempt, I think it wasn't too bad. The recipe made enough dough for 2 loaves to which I filled one with apples, spices and home-made pastry cream and filled the other with fresh blueberries and lemon curd. The blueberry one leaked like mad, but the apple one held its own quite well. I think I rolled the dough out too thin and because of this the braid didn't hold tight enough allowing the leakage of blueberry everywhere. The dough itself called for orange zest & juice and cardamom which I thought odd as every time that I have had danish in the past it had been plain. I personally didn't care for the taste of the dough with these added ingredients and will omit them next time I make it, but don't let it the additions put you off as it did have a nice orangey spice to it. Quite Christmasy I think.

Unfortunately, I did not photograph my attempt, but will remember to next time.

No comments: