Wednesday 30 July 2008

Diet, Diet, Diet

We're officially back on Weight Watchers. We tried WW a few years ago and I lost close to two stone. We tried it again several times since but have found it quite hard to stick to, especially me.
I have such a desire to cook and bake all the time and I like to cook food with proper ingredients. I'm sorry and don't want to offend anyone, but I don't find Splenda a proper ingredient. It's kind of hard to explain. I think it really boils down to the fact that I like to eat. I truly enjoy everything about food. The way it looks, smells, tastes and experiencing different textures. I am obsessed. Completely and utterly obsessed and I will never deny it. Ever.

I spent half of my childhood living with my Grandmother and she is a fantastic cook. She always made every meal from scratch. No microwave meals for her. She taught me to relish in the joy of trying new foods. Whenever we went to a seafood restaurants, Gram would never allow me to get a burger. She said that if you go to a seafood restaurant, you order seafood. If you go to a burger joint, then you order a burger. I still live by this sound advice and have tried to instill this in James. James has tried so many different foods since we've been together. I do think that living with Gram definitely forged my obsession with food.

I am not a thin person. I think the last time I was what society would call thin, would have to be when I was 18. Over 10 years ago and I have no desire to be that thin again. Today's society dictates that you have to be a size 0 or -20 to be thought of as pretty. Maybe it's just me, but when I see people toothpick thin, it just makes me want to feed them. James thinks I'm gorgeous and tells me so all the time. I really couldn't have a better husband. I've come to terms with my weight and how I look. I'm not 100% content, but who really is?

Due to the diet 'thing', I will be doing some WW and lighter recipes, but since I've joined the Daring Bakers, I will also be baking the good stuff too. (My first Daring Bakers entry will be in August and I am totally stoked!)

I've also decided this week to make posting a weekly thing (every Friday). It gives me a goal to work towards every week and lets me try all kinds of new things. Woo hoo!

See you on Friday!

1 comment:

Britt said...

its funny how you don't "sound" american anymore in your writing. (not in a bad way, just interesting.)

how many pounds in a stone?
good luck with WW. its the only thing that works for so many people.