Friday 8 August 2008

Juno

While I'm writing this post I am watching 'Juno'. I haven't seen it yet but I've been listening to the soundtrack for ages. My sister got me and James into Kimya Dawson who does quite a few of the tracks on the soundtrack. The film is good so far but I'm only like 10 minutes into it.

Oh for my American friends who read this blog, I must apologise for not putting in my American equivalent in when I give recipes or yammer on about stuff in British. There are 14 pounds in a stone and a digestive is the British graham cracker...kinda. I promise I will try to put in both American and British terms from now on. :)

So on to the eatin'....


Yummy Turkey Chili (Serves 4)

500 grams Turkey mince (ground turkey)
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
14 ounces beef broth
10 ounces chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
8 spring onions (scallions), chopped

In a large saucepan, mix in the turkey, onion and garlic, stirring constantly, until the turkey is browned and the onion is soft.

Add the chili powder, brown sugar, salt, cumin, allspice and pepper to the turkey mixture. Stir everything together to completely coat the turkey and the onions with the spices.

Stir in the broth, tomatoes and vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and partially cover and simmer until the broth is thickened, about 30 to 40 minutes.

Serve the chili topped with the spring onions.


Verdict: I am totally converted to turkey in my chili now and will never go back to beef mince (ground beef)! This chili is very filling and tastes great.




Chocolate Fudge (36 pieces)

175 grams caster sugar (superfine sugar)
170g evaporated milk
25 g unsalted butter
350 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
100 g white marshmallows


Spray a 7 inch square cake tin with cooking spray.

In a large saucepan combine the sugar, evaporated milk and butter and heat on high. Bring the mixture up to the boil and stir constantly. Reduce the heat to medium and boil gently for 4 minutes, stirring all the time.

Add the chocolate and marshmallows to the saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth.

Pour the fudge mixture into the prepared tin and leave until cool. Then place the cooled fudge in fridge until firm, about 2 hours. After firm, cut fudge into 36 pieces.


Verdict: It has been a major hit! People who have tried it say it's light and creamy and not dense like most fudge. It has been placed in my recipe box to join my other dessert winners.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

Hi, I have attempted the Chocolate Fudge recipe and basically ... yum!! It has been a hit here... with my parents... with his parents... with friends!! It's been chocolate-covered-faced-happy-munching all around!!