Friday 29 August 2008

Lapsing into a Sugar Coma

I got a phone call on Wednesday from the university I applied to inviting me to an interview for next week. So totally stoked, I have booked myself in for major beauty work so as not to scare away the possibility of place on the course. I am being quite vague at the mo about the course because I don't want to jinx anything, but if I promise to reveal next Friday.

This week James asked if I could make Custard Creams and I was more than happy to oblige. I used to make these when I worked at a local coffee shop, but they were double the size I made this week. I think these look far cuter in mini form instead of the Godzilla ones we sold at the shop.

Here we go guys.....

Custard Creams
(Makes 12 sandwiched cookies)

Ingredients -

Cookie:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
1 cup + 3 tbsp plain flour (all purpose flour)
1/2 cup vanilla custard powder

Butter Icing:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp whipping cream
2 1/4 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)

Cooking Instructions:
Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Cream butter and sugar together in a small bowl until light and fluffy. Sift flour and custard powder into butter mixture and mix well to form a soft dough. Roll dough into small balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Press balls lightly with a fork (just enough to make an impression) and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until set (don't brown them at all). Cool for 10 minutes on cookie sheet, and place on rack to cool completely.

To make icing, cream butter. Mix together vanilla and cream in a small bowl. Add to butter, then sift in icing sugar and beat with a mixer until smooth and soft.

Form cookie sandwiches with a layer of icing in the middle; let set for two hours.



Verdict:

These guys are really good, but are totally fab the next day. My only warning is that the icing is super sweet so be prepared!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No beauty work required. You're beautiful already (see I can do sugary too!)